Becoming a citizen of the United States comes with the certainty that you now enjoy the full rights of our country’s constitution. Citizens have the ability to vote for public officials, bring family members to the United States, obtain citizenship for children born abroad, become eligible for federal jobs, enjoy U.S. protection when traveling abroad, have lowered risk of deportation, easier travel and re-entry to the U.S., ability to travel abroad for longer periods, and even federal tax and estate benefits.
Citizenship can be acquired by being born in the United States, being born to U.S. Citizen parents abroad subject to certain requirements, and by naturalizing. U.S. Citizen parents can register their children’s birth abroad and their child will be granted U.S. citizenship so long as certain requirements are met. Naturalization is the process of petitioning immigration to change your status from a Legal Permanent Resident to a U.S. Citizen.
Here are some basic requirements for those naturalizing:
- Continuous Residence as a Legal Permanent Resident for 5 or 3 years
- Good moral character
- English and Civics knowledge
- Show allegiance to the U.S. Constitution
Whether you are seeking to register the citizenship of a child or needing to naturalize, RGP can help you. These types of applications are time sensitive and require your prompt attention. Please contact us at 210-540-3449, or by email, to set up a free initial consultation.
In Downtown San Antonio
Contact R|G|P Today
Rogers Garcia Patton, PLLC
310 S St Mary's St #865
San Antonio, TX 78205
- RGP Welcomes Jessica Estorga as New Partner August 16, 2017
- Alberto Garcia Elected Treasurer of Mexican American Bar Association SA April 6, 2017
- Analysis: Trump’s Executive Order of March 6, 2017 March 28, 2017
- Jason Rogers Approved to Practice Federal Law in Texas Western District March 20, 2017
- Community Property in Texas: If one of ya’ll bought it, ya’ll both own it February 7, 2017