A court order for custody can be changed in certain situations. The court must find that the circumstances of a child or parent under the order have changed in a material and substantial way and that modifying custody orders is in the best interests of the child. There are no hard and fast rules on a “material and substantial change”. This can include many things like a change in the health of a child, a change in employment, a criminal arrest or conviction, or a change in the relationship between the parents of the child in addition to many others.

Whether the parties agree that the current order is not working or whether there is a conflict about what is right for your child, RGP can help. If you have a custody order that you believe needs to be modified, contact RGP and speak with one of our attorneys for further assistance.